Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Shrimp Enchiladas & Leal Chardonnay

Every once in a while, Mike and I will have a “nosh” night in lieu of a regular dinner. We eat cheese, bread olives, maybe some salami. I love using nosh nights as an excuse to try new cheeses. One time I bought some smoked fontina cheese which we both loved. I was inspired to find other ways to use that cheese. It was through that search that I found a recipe that has evolved into the one below. I originally bought the smoked fontina at Safeway and then at Whole Foods. Much to my dismay both locations by my house have since ceased to carry it. The original enchilada recipe did call for fontina, so it is not a tragedy. I do strongly recommend using either fontina or smoked fontina and not subbing it for something else. When I no longer could find the smoked fontina, I started using smoked cheddar in lieu of regular cheddar.


The enchiladas are absolutely delicious and have always impressed dinner guests. The enchiladas do require some time to chop the ingredients, grate the cheese and assemble, but they are not technically difficult. This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated for a couple days or frozen, which makes it an ideal dish to serve for overnight company as I make the dinner before they even arrive at my house. I served these with my Non-fried Refried Black Beans. The recipe is at http://adventureinabottle.blogspot.com/2011/01/spinach-and-mushroom-enchiladas-and.html

WINE: 2007 Leal Chardonnay, San Benito
http://www.lealvineyards.com/

My dear friends, Chris and Krissy were in town, so we took then to Leal Vineyards one of our favorite wineries. All their wines are amazing, and I was delighted that our friends loved the Chardonnay. I knew it would be a great accompaniment to dinner. This round Chardonnay features notes of pineapple and butterscotch with a vanilla finish, and I was correct that it was a fantastic pairing. I think the richness of the cream sauce is better suited to an oaked Chardonnay than an unoaked Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. I would also like to try it with a Roussanne blend as I believe that may also stand up nicely to this dish.

RECIPE: Shrimp Enchiladas
Servings: 4

Ingredients:
• 7 tablespoons cream cheese, divided
• ¼ cup sour cream
• ¾ lb. baby shrimp, precooked
• 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese (smoked or regular), divided
• ¼ cup shredded cheddar (smoked or regular)
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ cup chopped onion, divided
• ½ red pepper, finely chopped
• 4 oz. can hot green chiles, diced and drained
• 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
• ¼ tsp cumin
• ¼ tsp chili powder
• ¼ tsp dill weed
• Juice of one lemon
• 1/3 cup half-n-half
• ¼ tsp salt
• 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
• ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
• 8 tortillas (I prefer flour )

Directions:
1. Grease a 13”x9” casserole dish.
2. Preheat oven to 450° (unless serving at another time).
3. Begin making the filling by combining sour cream and 4 tbsp of cream cheese. It helps to let the cream cheese sit on counter for ~30 minutes or put in microwave for 30 seconds. Beat by hand or with electric mixer until smooth.
4. Add shrimp, ½ cup fontina cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic, ¼ cup onion, red pepper, green chiles, ¼ tsp pepper, cumin, chili powder, dill weed, and lemon juice. Stir until all ingredients are well mixed.
5. Take one tortilla and place 1/8th of filling in the middle. Roll and place seam side down in greased casserole dish. Repeat 7 more times, filling the pan with one layer of enchiladas.
6. Begin making the sauce by heating the half-n-half and 3 tbsp of cream cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds to one minute, checking after 30 seconds.
7. Add salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and beat by hand or with electric mixer until a smooth sauce forms. Pour sauce over enchiladas.
8. Combine tomatoes, cilantro and ¼ cup onion. Spread over top of enchiladas.
9. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup of fontina cheese over enchiladas.
10. Bake about 10-15 minutes uncovered until cheese is bubbling. If refrigerated first, it may take 20 minutes to cook. If frozen, thirty minutes. Cover with foil if cheese begins to burn.
11. Enjoy…my mouth is watering as I write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment