Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dill-Caper Salmon over Garlic Sautéed Spinach with Lucienne Pinot Noir

When I lived in Athens, GA I loved a salmon and spinach dish at a local French restaurant. I was not so crazy about the price. My boyfriend at the time made this dish for me in as his copycat version. I was very impressed until I realized how easy it was to make myself. I’m not promising that this is as good as my restaurant meal, but it has always happily filled my craving at a lower cost.

Lucienne 2007 Pinot Noir, Santa Lucia Highlands, Doctor’s Vineyard (Monterey)
http://store.hahnfamilywines.com/Lucienne

A Chardonnay or a Pinot Noir are your two best choices for this entrée. I love pairing Pinot Noir with salmon, so chose to open a bottle of that. This Pinot was one of the few in our collection that I had not tasted prior to buying. However, I love Santa Lucia Pinots and was very happy with this purchase. The rich bouquet was filled cherry, chocolate and slightly smoky notes. The chocolate and cherry continues on the palate. This medium body Pinot also contains subtle spice and caramel characteristics.

RECIPE: Dill-Caper Salmon
Servings: 2

Ingredients:
• ¼ c olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ tsp dill weed (dried)
• 1 tbsp drained capers
• ¼ tsp. salt
• 2 (7 oz.) Salmon fillets
• Juice from ½ Lemon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a small sauce pan.
3. Sauté minced garlic for 2 minutes.
4. Place salmon fillets on a cookie sheet (you can cover with foil if you like).
5. Add dill weed, capers and salt. Continue to cook for another minute. Reduce heat to low keeping remaining sauce warm.
6. Pour half the sauce over the salmon being carefully to try to keep the sauce on the salmon.
7. Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes or until salmon flakes.
8. When salmon is done, I like to use a spatula to slide between fillet and skin. I then place the fillet on top of the spinach and drizzle remaining sauce over the dish.
9. Squeeze lemon over fish.

RECIPE: Garlic Spinach

I mince the garlic with the garlic for the salmon and start cooking this as soon as salmon goes in oven.

Ingredients:
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 10 oz. fresh baby spinach
• 1 tbsp water
• Salt, to taste
• Juice of half of lemon

Directions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet.
2. Sauté garlic for 2 minutes.
3. Add spinach and 1 tbsp water. Place cover on pan.
4. Let spinach wilt for a couple minutes then toss it. You want to get the uncooked spinach to the bottom of the pan.
5. Once spinach is cooked, salt to taste and squeeze lemon juice on top.
6. Plate as directed above. The sauce from the salmon is delicious with the spinach.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious and so simple - even for me. Thanks, G!

    ReplyDelete