Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

Blue Cheese Buffalo Burgers, Kale Chips, and Rancho Sisquoc Cabernet Sauvignon

Recipe: Blue Cheese Buffalo Burgers
Recipe: Kale Chips
Wine: 2006 Rancho Sisqouc Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Barbara
I must be low on iron as I began craving red meat again this week. I had some ground buffalo in the freezer, so threw it in the fridge last night. I knew burgers would make for an easy and tasty dinner after work today. I have also successfully used this recipe with grass-fed ground beef and ground elk. When we lived in San Diego a local market carried ground elk. If you can find it, this is a fabulous recipe with elk. Tonight, I was in the mood for kale chips, which has become one of my favorite veggie sides. I have even just eaten a batch of these chips in the middle of the afternoon. Give them a try, but if kale is absolutely not for you these burgers are delicious with baked sweet potato fries.

Last year, I had discovered my favorite burger wine. Rancho Sisqouc’s Cab is full-bodied and smooth with some great plum flavors and a nice long finish. What makes it the perfect burger wine iss the additional notes of cola and pepper. I originally found this wine at a small wine store in San Diego, but then found it was also at Whole Foods. So there is a chance this may be easier to find then some wines I have discussed in the past.
http://www.ranchosisquoc.com/OURWINES.html

RECIPE: BLUE CHEESE BUFFALO BURGERS
Serving: Makes 3 good size burgers, 4 smaller burgers

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground buffalo (or beef, elk etc)
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
4 oz blue cheese (gorgonzola is yummy too--I use what I have)

1. Grate half an onion and garlic over cheese grater into bowl. You can also mince, but this gets more moisture out.
2. Slice remainder of onion and cook with a little oil over medium high heat until nice and brown.
3. Add beaten egg and the remainder of ingredients (except buns). Yes, I add the cheese in now. I find it is very yummy mixed in and melted. Plus it helps hold the meat together too. Knead together.
4. Shape into three or four patties. Make an indentation in the middle of each patty, so it cooks more evenly and doesn’t bulge in middle.
5 You can grill the burgers to desired doneness. This is a great option is using ground chuck. I do find when I use the leaner meats, the burgers are tastier if I cook them in my cast iron skillet (or any skillet) at medium to medium-high heat. They still get nice and brown, but retain their moisture better on the stove.
6. Place burgers on buns and top with cooked onions and desired condiments.

RECIPE: KALE CHIPS

Ingredients:
1 bunch kale
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. garlic salt

1. It’s best to rinse and let kale dry when you get home from store. This recipe is better when kale is dry!
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Tear kale into shreds.
4. In a bowl , mix olive oil and lemon juice.
5. Place kale shreds into bowl and massage until olive oil/lemon mix has worked into all leaves. You can add more oil if needed.
6. Place on cooking sheet, sprinkle with garlic salt and slide into the oven.
7. Bake until crisp, about 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment